Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The 2012-2013 Broadway Season: My Must-See Musicals




Every year as the Broadway theater season unfolds, I make it my mission to see as many new shows as I possibly can. I like to try and see a healthy mix of musicals and plays, but there are so many this year that I have to split the list in two. First up are the musicals at the top of my must-see list.

The Mystery of Edwin Drood: A musical based on Charles Dickens’ last novel. Because Dickens died before he could write the ending, the audience chooses their own version of how the story ends (it’s the first Broadway show with multiple endings). I’m on a quest to see people who I consider living legends of Broadway before they stop performing, and Drood has one of the best – the incomparable Chita Rivera as Princess Puffer. Opens November 13th at Studio 54; previews begin October 19th.

Bare: A rock musical/coming of age story focusing on Catholic high school students. This technically is Off-Broadway, but I’ve been waiting for this show for years. I bought a concept album of Bare about four years ago, and the music and story are both beautiful and haunting. I also know several members of the cast, and it’ll be great to see how they bring the show to life. Additionally, Travis Wall of So You Think You Can Dance fame is the choreographer, so the dancing is going to be incredible. Opens December 9th at New World Stages; previews begin November 19th.

Matilda: Based on Roald Dahl’s 1988 book and the 1996 film about a young girl with extraordinary magical powers. I’ve never read the book or seen the movie, but I know the premise of the story. Last year, I worked at a Broadway production company, and I got the chance to listen to the cast recording before the show premiered in London. I would drop everything to see the opening number performed live. It’s over ten minutes long, but its harmonies, orchestrations, and clever lyrics are fantastic! I’m so curious to see how this show does. Opens April 11, 2013 at the Shubert Theater; previews begin March 4th.

Kinky Boots: Based on a 2005 British film about a shoemaker who maintains the family business’ success by making exotic footwear. It has an all-star creative team: music by Cyndi Lauper, book by Harvey Fierstein, and director/choreographer Jerry Mitchell. Stark Sands (who I loved in American Idiot) and Billy Porter star. Opens April 4, 2013 at the Al Hirschfeld Theater; previews begin March 5th. 

Diner: Based on Barry Levinson’s 1982 film about a group of high school friends reuniting ten years after graduation as the second member of the group prepares to get married. I watched the movie for the first time recently, and I’m excited to watch the plot come to life on stage (and see who plays the Ellen Barkin part). Sheryl Crow is making her Broadway debut as a composer, and I’m really intrigued to see how her songs fit with the story. Plus, one of the cast members is one of my top five theater performers ever, but I can’t say who yet! Opens April 10th, 2013 at a theater to be announced.

There are a few more I’m really interested in seeing, but these are my top five. I know they’ll all bring their own magic to the Theater District, and I hope that people come out to see these shows. It may be tough to get a ticket, but there’s no better way to discover new talent and new music.

No comments:

Post a Comment