Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Time: Friend or Foe?




This past week, time was not my friend. Interning two days a week, writing an eight-page paper, cramming for midterms, and still trying to find time to have a social life caused me to have frequent momentary panic attacks. Somewhere amidst the panic, I’ve come to realize that not only are there not enough hours in the day, but also that time is passing way too quickly.

 
Perhaps it struck me most on Sunday after I gave tours to some of the 2,400 students and their families that came to Fordham’s Senior Open House. Weren’t these kids me four years ago? Or maybe it was reviewing my transcript to see what classes I still needed to take to graduate. Then again, it could have been updating my résumé in an attempt to secure the perfect spring internship. It doesn’t really matter what the cause was; the passage of time is something that is way beyond my control.

When I first arrived at Fordham, graduation was something I looked forward to. So now, why is it both exciting and terrifying at the same time? Why are there still so many things left to do before I leave? I still haven’t ridden the ram or gone to the Botanical Gardens!

So now that time is back on my side, I think my reflections of the past week have made me come to realize that time deserves more respect. Maybe I should stop worrying about where I’ve been and where I’m going and take the time to live in the here and now. I think this quote by Michael Alphsuler sums it up best:
“The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment